Enrollment for health coverage is still available
for those who experience a “qualifying event” between now and the open enrollment period which begins next November – but just what IS a qualifying event ??
“Qualifying events” are events that cause an individual to lose health coverage. These include:
- Termination of coverage by an employer for any reason other than “gross misconduct”
- Reduction in the hours of employment
- A permanent move to another city or state
- A change in family structure due to marriage, divorce or the addition of a newborn
The following are qualifying events for a spouse and dependent child:
- Reduction in hours worked by the covered employee;
- Primary subscriber becomes entitled to Medicare;
- Divorce or legal separation of the spouse from the covered employee; or
- Death of the primary subscriber.
- Loss of “dependent child” status under the plan rules (i.e. child turns age 26).
Other Enrollment Opportunities:
Medicare Supplements: Those with Medicare Supplement plans who wish to make a change can do so at any time.
Likewise, if you wish to add dental or vision to your current medical plan, enrollments are available year-round. And, if you’re thinking of adding life insurance or a long-term care policy to your portfolio, those, too, can be added at any time.
Call us at (925) 254-6262 if you find you need help finding a new plan!